Exclusive design for Local Loop, this gorgeous yellow polka dot fabric!
Handmade by Steph’s Sustainable Stuff, wax wraps are a natural alternative to single-use food wrapping such as clingfilm, foil or plastic sandwich bags. These are handmade in Chesterfield using 100% cotton and wax from locally and ethically reared bees. Steph adds pine resin to the wax to improve the adhesive quality.
Steph says “When I first started making wraps I didn’t copy what others were doing but asked myself ‘What would I use one for?’ A: to wrap my sandwiches and cover a dinner plate when I’ve prepared a meal to eat later. The 37cm wrap fulfills both of these functions as well as I can make three from 45inch wide fabric so no wasted fabric”.
Reasons to switch to natural wraps:
- They won’t leach nasty chemicals into your food
- The cotton fabric allows the wraps to breathe, keeping your food fresher for longer
- They can be used over and over again so no waste (effective for up to one year or get them re-waxed)
- They are easy to care for – just wash in cold water with a gentle soap
- They are biodegradable – once used to death they can be composted
Steph has sold hundreds of these wraps and this is by far the most popular and practical size for most uses. Simply wrap around your food/plate and the warmth from your hand will help to soften the wax and resin to create a seal